In 1918 there were contacts between Fokker and the Austro-Hungarian Luftfahrttruppe regarding the D.VII. It was to be build by the MAG, Magyar Általános Gépgyár (Hungarian General Machine Factory), which received the V.22 prototype as a pattern aircraft. It was ordered from MAG, the Oestereichische-Ungarische Flugzeugfabrik Aviatik and Fokker. Six engineless airframes were send by Fokker in 1918, and a number were build by MAG. The engines installed where Austro-Daimler engines of 225hp, and the machineguns were from the Schwarzlose type. Also, a different, more angular, type radiator was used. Production for the Austro-Hungarians during the war did not materialize, and D.VII’s have not been used by them.
After the war, the D.VII’s were used by the Hungarian Red Army, and it is believed that MAG build 50 D.VII’s, some as two-seaters.
In 1924, four D.VII’s were on the civil register: H-MFOA to H-MFOD (later HA-FOA to HA-FOD).