A large number of D.VII’s went to Canada as war booty, thanks to Lt-Col. Arthur Doughty who was collecting these in Europe. At least 22 were shipped from Feltham (GB) to Camp Borden (Canada) on march 12, 1919.
From there, some were presented to the universities of McGill, Mount Allison, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and to the Brome County Historical Society. Seven were lend to a company raised by Billy Bishop and Bill Barker. An unknown number is used by the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF). After a deadly accident in England with a D.VII, it was forbidden to fly with them. After that, these D.VII’s were left outside, deteriorated and were scrapped.
Today there are two original D.VII’s in Canada, one at the Brome County Historical Society and one at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum.
The Fokker D.VII ‘6810/18’ is believed to be the most original Fokker D.VII in the world. It has been in storage since 1921. In 1962 it was loaned to the Royal Canadian Air Force and was displayed at Ottawa on National Air Force Day.
The Fokker D.VII at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum is the ‘10347/18’. Restoration of the aircraft has stopped in 1975.
The McGill University received 8583/18, but further information is not available.
The University of Mount Allison received 8502/18. It was exhibited in Lingley Hall, until destroyed by fire in february 1921.
D.VII 6849/18 went to Manitoba University. Further information is not available. The engine is given to the National Aviation Museum for their D.VII, and wheels, ailerons and struts are in the possession of the Western Canada Aviation Museum.
The University of Saskatchewan received 6832/18. It was on display in the north end of the Engineering Building tractor lab. It was there that a fire started on 13 March 1925 which destroyed the building. The Fokker was also destroyed in the fire, and might have been the cause of it.
Alberta University received 8493/18. According to the Edmonton Bulletin from 3 july 1920, the aircraft was put up for display in the Mining Engineering Laboratory and could be inspected by the public on 6, 7 and 8 july 1920 from 10 to 12 o’clock. After that the Fokker was put into storage. Although the registration is not mentioned in the article from the Edmonton Bulletin, it certainly was the 8493/18 because of the description that ‘on each of its ingeniously camouflaged sides is painted a large maple leaf …’. Only the engine was used by the Engineering Department. In 1935 the D.VII was moved to another storage facility. A piece of the linen fabric with the German registration has been on display in the 1980’s. You can read the original offer by Lt-Col. Arthur Doughty of this D.VII to the university here.
You can read the full story of the Canadian Fokkers in Those Canadian Fokkers by Edward Peter Soye.